Pages

10 November, 2010

Reverse Racism ( Not Pretty On The Other Side)

For the first time ever in my life, I experienced reverse racism. Its even more mind bobbling I had to experience something like this, but its important we address it for future generations. To make them aware of the ignorant people that lurk in todays world. Last night, after a few drinks at the hostel, a few  friends of mine wanted to go to the local reggae bar nearby. When we got there, the vibes were a little bit slow, but we just wanted to stay for a while. We got our drinks and made our way to the Foosball table, when I was a approached by a gentlemen, I normally see at the bar, who apparently had too much to drink that night. He confronted me, explanning, "why do I always see you walking around these white people, you need to check yourself and realize who you are". A little shocked, because normally when I come to the bar, I give him props and respects. He had a  bone to pick with me, when he made his way to the Foosball table, looking to get something off his chest. He stood square to square shoulder to shoulder with me and basically called me a sell out. I need to check myself and know who I was talking to. When I ask him what that meant, he explain, you always hanging around these white people, what have they done for you, you follow them, meanwhile they laugh behind your back, when your not around, repeating, you need to check yourself". I smirk myself, thinking, wow! its 2010 and we still have people who think like this, especially a person who should have a better understanding  because of the great leaders before who died for racial equality. I thought to myself, why would this man call me such a thing, especially a person that comes to the bar frequently, always jamming out to Bob Marley, which is contradictory to the message he was telling me. Bob Marley talked about universal peace, for all races, so why would this person mumble such hypocritical nonsense in my ears. After I had the chance to soak up what he was telling me, I realized that racism is not pretty on the other side as well, because some people still have a hard time letting go the past, and realizing what took place in those times was the lack of ignorance that he was preaching to me, so I expected better from him. After the brief discussion, I return to the Foosball table with my friends and told them what happen. They were a little surprised and little discussed about what he told me, because for them,  they have always seen me as a social able person, who has love and respect for everybody, no matter where they came from, because when I choose my friends, I don't pick color, I look for the goodness in the heart, and the intelligence that will help the world progress further. In my conclusion, I think the gentlemen was lost within himself, because he continues to think in his old ways. He needs to evaluate himslef and come up better solutions to irradicate the problem, instead of feeding more fuel to the fire. Lets stop racism people.... One Love

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey bro, that happened in San Jose? Creasy...! Lets stop racism people....

take care mi amigo

Luca (hippie)

Glo said...

People need to look from within. We are of different colors so that God can test us in how well we can accept one another beyond the color of our skins. Get to know the person from the inside and you'll see past their skin color. You'll see another soul standing in front of you. You'll be surprised with what you really learn.

Unknown said...

You didn't say if this guy was white or black, if you did I missed it but you must also remember that most of the Nazis after the war ran to South America to hide out so that they will not be tried for war crimes, so don't be surprise if you meet a white fluent Spanish speaking person whom come across being racsis they could be them or their relatives and you know the apple don't drop far from the tree.

Peteypop618 said...

Wow star. I'm sorry you had to go through with this and yes people will find a way to be ignorant about something. Just because you hang out with a group of people different from your race doesn't make you a sell out. You're right it's the goodness of the heart but unfortunately people look on the outside more than the inside. Just like dating. If you preferred Spanish women over Jamaican women, than people will think you're selling them out. It's an individual preference and people do realize that this is 2010 not anywhere near the 1800's. Just keep your head up high bredron and don't worry about what people think about your decision making. Bless mi yute

Wade Cameron said...

@Luca, It was at roots and it was crazy, because it was someone I knew and I dint expect it but it makes you realize who your real friends are,

@Gloria I agree, people need to long more from within and not the color or the skin, we are all created equally and when we die why die the same way,

@ Codemkr It was a black person, but yeah its throughout history that man has paid the prize for racism, so we must embrace each for the greater good of mankind.

@Peter.I guess some people will never change but the majority must rule because its the intelligent not the ignorant that going to lead us.

Thank you all for commenting, your thoughts mean a lot to me.

One Love