Pages

08 April, 2011

My Experience Living In Costa Rica Part 3

Things were beginning to look up, as I moved into Hostel
Bekuo. My first perception of it was, a laid back environment, but at the sametime, it made you feel as if your were at home, and over the span of time,getting a chance to get know the people who worked there, made me feel even more so at home. The best part of it all, I had just landed a job, at a calledplaced institute called Ingles Empressial. Just in time, to make things right again, and turn over a brand new leaf, but reality was about to strike me a third time , before realizing I had to grow up fast, and ensure the lessons that will help me into the future, which would answer the question of why I came to CostaRica in the first place. I had moved into the hostel. From the start, I got achance to know the entire staff. Stephanie was from Costa Rica, but we connect easily, we both shared a Jamaican heritage, which help us connect even better,my first impression of her was, she was one of the nicest and sweetest person I had ever met. I considered her my sister, but like any relationship in a
household, we went through some ups and downs. Secondly, there was Brian, he was from Tampa, he was very polite and friendly person, who was very passionate
about things that were going on in the world, from the way he carried himself,
I knew he wanted to be a boss or leader of some establishment someday, just
wasn't sure what it would be, but I realized as time went on, and the more time
we got to know each other, we had more in common, than what I originally had
thought. As time went on, I saw him as an older brother, who at times, had our
little scuffle, but he was also a person to learn things from .Then there was
Matt, He was from Minnesota, whom I knew from prior months, from the Maximo
Nivel program, but the times we saw each other, we only exchanged three words
between us. I found him a little odd, and strange, but as we spend time hostel,
he turn out to be a pretty funny guy. He was very studious person, always
working on something, relating to Science or Physics, but I honored his
dedication He never cared too much about the hype or the nightlife, but as I
got a chance to know him, I found out, there was more to him than what meets
the eye. Finally there was Stephan, from Russia, who didn’t speak much, but
when he spoke, it was memorable, and you had to hang on every word he had to
say. He was a visual artist, with a great understanding, of how to draw and
illustrate the perfect woman. The only thing I had a hard time understanding,
was his ability to conversate in public, but in all the same. He had a great
heart and understanding of the world. As I got a chance to adapt to my new
surroundings, things were about to take a turn for the worse, as Rohan's
situation living situation with his girlfriend, didn't work out as he had
anticipated, putting a damper on his spirits, of wanting to stay . For me, I
felt the same he did, but at the same time, something told me to didn’t give in
just as yet, even though my best friend wasn't here, especially being what we've
been through for 7 months. I had to gut it out, and finish the journey I had
started. After Rohan had left, I felt down, not too familiar with anyone at the
hostel as of yet. I turn to the only other friend I knew. The Bottle of Vodka I
purchased on a daily basis, to escape the reality around me. After month of
being there, I somehow landed a job working there, to this day I still can't
see why they hired me, because my performance wasn't something too pleasing ,
but they kept me anyways, from the perception, I knew then they were good
people. We shared laughs and jokes. Every night was a different experience in
the hostel, especially having bag packers from different walks of life, share
their stories and experience with us. We found local venues around the areas to
party and have fun. Roots, where they played reggae music, as we made sure it were
our number 1 spot. It was easy going, and the people there were really friendly
and mellow, for the most part. As the months came and went, so where the people
in the hostel, some, I found interesting, to the degree, I wanted to talk to,
and get to know better. but then I started to smoke, to escape reality, which
made me feel more depressed at times, because I still didn’t know anyone well enough
yet, besides Travis, who I would soon later connect with again at the hostel,
to confine in,through the hard times. During the times, I smoked so much to escape
reality, and sometimes didn't even feel like being a part of it. Then there
came The Random Crew, which I soon call us, because each person had their own
purpose and reason to why they came to Costa Rica. Helped me through some
really tough times. Two months later into the Hostel, I had some really neat
friends that would become a part of my inner circle. There was Florent,
Producer from Paris on the rise, He loved Dance hall music, and he was open to
many things. Love the hype and the night life. When we got together, we made
sure we brought the place down. Then there was Florian,  from Austria, who was one of the chilliest
person I ever met, we share laughs, and moments, and interesting stories about
life. He had his own principals, even though at times I didn't agree with. I respected
him, because he at least had a opinion. They were the first two, besides the
staff that was initiated into the Random Crew circle. Along the way, I found
others to fit the mode. There was Ximena, sweet and very down to earth girl,
who was fun and adventurous. Life of the party! Then there was Jane, who was
very sweet and caring, who was very open minded. Didn't make much get to her,
and she you can tell she appreciated the company of her friends Then there was
Travis, my partner in crime, who've I known since the beginning of time In
Costa Rica. He represented the true American motto, I love my country and I
will die for it, which I loved and respected about him, also, he was very smart
and a good person to learn things from, most importantly a good friend,
whenever you were in trouble he was there to help you out some way or another.
There was Diego, the taxi driver, who was the funniest guy you ever met. There
would be more later on. But we all became like a tight family over the course
of time. We went out to various places, exposed our deepest and darkest
secrets, and really look out for each other. As times past, I realized that even
though my family was millions of miles away. I had a family here that looked
out for me. Even though, there were bumps along the roads, such as,
disagreements and resentments, they were doing the same things I did
with my family,  which made me see  recognize more so, sometimes the people we  fight with the most, are the ones we  care for you the most. Later on, I had a chance to meet James,
who was from Chicago, who was one of the most laid back and easy going person
that I ever met, he had the mannerism of Barack Obama, didn't let anything get
to him, but he was a good person to talk to and learn things from. Then there
was Matt, a really down to earth kind of guys, who was very opinionated and
always about his friends. Then there was Rubi, one of the kindest souls I ever
met, she had a spirit about here, that made you feel like giving her a big hug
or kiss every time you saw her, Then there was Anne, who was the one the most
carefree persons I ever met, sweet as can be, with a kind heart and very gentle
soul. Then there was Leah was kind of shy, but once you got to know her, you can
see the radiant spirit within her, Finally, Amanda, an extreme chick, who loved
adventure, the outdoors type, that loved anything fun associated with it. We
made up the Random Crew, Random people in Random places, doing Random things. As
I got the chance to get acquainted with each member of the group, I realized
they in the journey of life, One is never alone, if they open their hearts to
people they may not know, because there is where the fulfillment of the journey
makes it rewarding, the people they guide you along the way, which was the
valuable lesson I learned when I was in Costa Rica. There were two memories
that stuck out in my mind, when I left Costa Rica, The Thanksgiving supper we
shared, for the first time ever, I was without a family, then I had a chance to
reflected and realized I was with my family, just a extended version of them.
Then there was the last hike I took with the boys, As I stood up there on the
cross, overseeing Costa Rica, I realized I came a long way, and even though I
was without my best friend in the world, I gain four more in the process. Along
with Matt, Travis, Brain, and James, I realized I didn't need to depend on my
friends and family back home, who weren't with me at the present moment, because I
will always gain more friend  and family in my inner circle along the way.

That is the lesson and that I learned the year and three
months I was there. Most importantly, I can depend on myself, and give myself
credit when it’s due, because in tough times, I realized I was stronger that I
thought, mentally and spiritually, thanks to the Random Crew. Random People, In
Random places, doing random things, bonding together for a moment in time,
to help each other out, to full fill or quest, and find ourselves, to arrive at our ultimate destinations....Thanks you all for the memories. Love you guys.... :)



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very good Wade!

Wade Cameron said...

Thank you reader. I had a lot of fun gaining the insight that I did and also writing about it.